J. Graham Thompson, LMFT (Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist- Illinois); Certified Gottman Therapist; and Couples Workshop Leader.
When: Cancelled due to low registration.
Time: Welcome at 8:30 a.m. on Saturday; sessions 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Where: Catholic Pastoral Center, Diocese of Springfield-in-Illinois, 1615 W. Washington St., Springfield, Illinois 62702
Tuition per couple: $600 prior to April 17; thereafter, $650. 12 CEs available at additional cost ($30) where one partner is a mental health professional. Couples may pay in three installments by choosing that option in the "Buy Now" button. Payments are due for each month leading up to The Art and Science of Love workshop: April, May 1, and June 1, 2017. No refunds are available in the payment plan, but the couple may attend a future Art and Science of Love workshop by J. Graham Thompson, LMFT.
Maximum registration for The Art and Science of Love Gottman workshop is 7 couples. Register soon!
Discover The Art and Science of Love originated by Drs. John and Julie Gottman at a weekend workshop in Central Illinois for couples presented by J.Graham Thompson, LMFT, Certified Gottman Trainer.
- 2 days filled with engaging presentations and experiential activities designed to confirm, strengthen, or restore your love
- For couples of every age, ability, and sexual orientation
- Shown to achieve results similar to those of 6 months of marital therapy
- Produces positive results for 86% of those who attend
Based on over 40 years of research by the Gottmans with thousands of couples, The Art and Science of Love workshop will give you new insights and research-based skills that can dramatically improve the intimacy and friendship in your relationship and help you manage conflict in a healthy, positive way. Along with the memory of re-connecting and the knowledge that “we can do this,” you will take home a box set of cards, tools, and tips to support your relationship in your everyday lives.
THE WORKSHOP PROGRAM
In a word: Science! Our curriculum is developed from 40 years of research with more than 3,000 couples. It’s grounded on what actually works in relationships that are happy and stable, not idealistic notions or anecdotal evidence of what marriage ought to be.
This workshop is designed for ALL couples in a committed relationship. If you have a strong relationship, this workshop will provide you with insights and tools to foster further closeness, friendship, and trust. If your relationship is distressed, this two-day workshop will provide you with a greater understanding of your relationship and a road map for repair. No public discussion or disclosure is involved. All work is done as a couple and Gottman trained therapists are available to support one-on-one during exercises.
As a result of this workshop, you will learn to:
foster respect, affection, and closeness;
build and share a deeper connection with each other;
keep conflict discussions calm,
break through and resolve conflict gridlock; and
strengthen and maintain the gains in your relationship.
Workshop topics include:
- Learn to recognize the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse and what to do if they are attacking your marriage
- Identify your relationship’s specific strengths and how to build on them
- Learn about the effects of physiological flooding and how it may affect conflict resolution
- Use the Fondness and Admiration System to renew respect and care for one another
- Create an Emotional Bank Account that you can draw upon in times of stress
- Develop your problem-solving skills, including the 6 skills for effective conflict resolutions
- Find out how you can make your dreams and aspirations come true for you, your partner, and your relationship
In addition to a greater understanding of how to build friendship, manage conflict, and create shared meaning in your retionship, you will receive a box set, which contains:
- 7 Card Decks
- Love Map
- Open-Ended Questions
- Rituals of Connection
- Salsa (Mild, Medium, Hot)
- 2 Couples Workbooks
- Repair Checklist
- Aftermath of a Fight Booklet
- Sound Relationship House Magnet
All registrations are final within 21 days of the workshop. If you are unable to attend, let us know 21 or more days before the event, and you will be eligible for a refund to your payment method, minus a $50 administrative fee. Within 21 days of the workshop, no refunds will be issued, but a registration at a future Level One Gottman workshop by J. Graham Thompson, LMFT, shall be reserved for that individual. Also, no refunds are available for couples who choose the three payment option, but a reserved spot in the next Art and Science of Love workshop by J. Graham Thompson, LMFT, will be reserved for them.